Monday, May 12, 2008

Neglected Films: Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story


OK, when I originally envisioned this segment I thought I'd highlight older movies that have been lost over a number of years, however, I thought I'd include a movie that I actually watched last night. Now, this film was very much neglected when it was released a few years ago, in fact I think its total box office was somewhere in the neighborhood of $3 - someone got in for a half-price matinee.

Anyway, it's a shame because Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story is incredibly smart and incredibly brilliant. It's part adaptation of the unfilmable novel The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, which many believe to be a metafiction book 200 years ahead of its time, and part faux documentary on the filming of the movie. The whole film is a metafiction on filmmaking.

Actor Steve Coogan plays Steve Coogan, actor; a more or less fictionalized version of himself. He's insecure, childish and ultimately funny as hell. It certainly took a lot of guts to pull off this character. There are a few others who also play "themselves" in the movie, such as Gillian Anderson, but they aren't as painfully awkward as Coogan.

The movie was directed by Michael Winterbottom who has had a very interesting career to say the least (A great movie of his to check out, which belongs here too, is Welcome to Sarajevo). He is someone who's more interested in experimenting with filmmaking rather than sticking with the norms - which is probably the reason you've never heard of him. However, his approaches to different movies haven't always led to great movies. Winterbottom has the potential to make a major breakthrough, but I doubt he's interested in that.

I caught Tristram Shandy on the Independent Film Channel, so if you're lucky enough to have the channel you may be able to catch it; if not, then go out and rent it.





Again, I'm leaving an open invitation for others out there who wish to do their own neglect film. If you do so, let me know and I'll link you.

1 comment:

pattinase (abbott) said...

An excellent choice. I really liked this movie a lot and didn't expect to.