Monday, August 07, 2006

Quotes

Here are some lines from recent reads:

"No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs. Reality itself is too twisted."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas



"For this my mother wrapped me warm,
And called me home against the storm,
And coaxed my infant nights to quiet,
And gave me roughage in my diet,
And tucked me in my bed at eight,
And clipped my hair, and marked my weight,
And watched me as I sat and stood,
That I might grow to womanhood.
To hear a whistle and drop my wits
And break my heart to clattering bits."
- Dorothy Parker, Fulfillment



"But there was a single can of condensed milk, of a richness and sweetness Jim had never remembered. He drank the milk, sitting at the desk in the dentist's study as the teeth smiled at him, and then fell asleep in a bedroom upstairs, between the silk sheets scented by the body of the woman with the face of a film star."
- J.G. Ballard, Empire of the Sun




"In most cases, people, even the most vicious, are much more naive and simple-minded than we assume them to be. And this is true of ourselves too."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov




"Myers giggled.
'If you were a real writer, as you say you are, Mr. Myers, you would not laugh,' Morgan said as he got to his feet. 'You would try to understand. You would plumb the depths of that poor soul's heart and try to understand. But you are no writer, sir!'
Myers kept on giggling."
- Raymond Carver, Put Yourself in My Shoes



"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."
-Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

1 comment:

Saaleha said...

I can't wait to read Lolita. It's right up there on my wishlist. And btw, well done on the competition. That's how I found your blog