Friday, July 28, 2006

Miami Vice


Fuckin' brilliant. Michael Mann can do no wrong. I went to the first matinee on opening day, which I haven't done in a long time. As I sat there all I could think of was how little I go to the movies now. I used to go twice a week, sometimes more. Now, it's like once every two months. Until today, I had seen only two movies this summer: Mission Impossible III (sucked big donkey dick) and Superman Returns (sucked less, but still sucked).

But Miami Vice reminded me of how good movies can be. In today's New York Times, film reviewer A.O. Scott wrote that "Miami Vice is an action picture for people who dig experimental art films, and vice versa."

Is it too much to hope for a sequel?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i loved the tv show in those first couple of years. then i caught a little of it last week when they were promoting the movie. i don't remember don johnson's acting being so bad. :O

Christa M. Miller said...

Thanks for the review, Steve. DH and I were just complaining about how we haven't seen any date movies this summer because the field is so thin. I loved Collateral, though. Mann has definitely improved with age. Looking forward to this one now!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Geez, I didn't even know they did a movie.

Steve Allan said...

Anne, the movie really doesn't have anything to do with the TV show.

Christa, definitely a good date movie with all the sexy scene of Colin and Gong Li, especially Gong Li.

Sandra, how in the hell did you not know there was a movie?