Sunday, April 13, 2008

Breakin'

OK, after whining about not wanting to write after hitting a major plot point in my current manuscript, I ended up writing close to 4,000 words. Something clicked. But after I finished for the day, I realized that I was exhausted, but not the type of exhausted where I needed to catch my breath (I wasn't typing that fast), but my imagination needed some rest. I had every intention of writing yesterday, but I didn't open the document even once. I thought about it, trying to figure a few things out, but I knew that whatever I typed out wouldn't be any good. I may even extend my break into today.

3 comments:

Clair D. said...

I know both of those feelings far too well! Congrats on your word count and progress.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It seems to me that your brain is always working on it in some fashion and pushing too hard can often mean taking a wrong turn.

Lyman Feero said...

I agree. During the program I pushed my novel too hard. I wanted to plow through it and I made some very bad choices as I am finding out as I go back over it. I didn't give my mind enough time to thoroughly develop my story. I've had to cut two thirds of the book because of one hurried plot decision. Breaks are good, They are the breeding grounds for epiphanies.