Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Did you know...

that when a human body hits the pavement from a thirteen-story fall it sounds like a shotgun going off? Apparently the body is so damanged that regular body bags can't be used because picking up the body would be like picking up a leaky garbage bag full of lumpy oatmeal. I guess NYPD has a special device they use for such occasions that looks something between a snow scooper and a hand cart - and (to make this extra disgusting) they place a board on the other end from the scoop so the sloppy remains will stay in place.

I found all of this out this morning from my boss who was talking to a friend in Manhatten over the phone when a woman fell out of her thirteenth story window and ended up on the street. He actually heard the bang over the phone. He told me this before I ate my breakfast, but hey, I'm writing this while I eat my lunch.

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

3 comments:

Lyman Feero said...

There will also be tears in the flesh on the side of the body that didn't hit first from the body trying to flatten.

Tearing and broken bones are more prominent in obese people. Fat doesn't bounce, it flattens plus the skin is usually thinner in the obese and tries to burst like a water balloon.

A detail most people leave off.

Christa M. Miller said...

Don't know if you caught the CBS special on 9/11 - the French brothers who filmed the FDNY firehouse that day - but that sound figured quite prominently. You thought it was falling debris until someone, I think one of the anchors, said it was not. Just, holy shit.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Cross this off my list for methods of suicide.