Tuesday, May 16, 2006

By a Spider's Thread and the Neurotic Reader

Shit. I've now officially screwed up with reading Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan series in order. I hate doing that. I received By a Spider's Thread as a gift and thought I could just read a chapter. Just a few pages, I told myself, then I can put it down. But then I got sucked in; I couldn't wait. Now I have to go back in Monaghan time for the two books I haven't read. For some reason I have to read series in order. It's why I'm still stuck on E in Sue Grafton's series. I have F through M on my shelf, but I've yet to go out and get E; so the other books just sit there, ignored. So now I'm rushing through the Monaghan novels I haven't read, as if I can fool myself in thinking that if I read them all together, it won't matter.

Oh, as for the book: it's wonderful, like all the others. Fantastic plotting and great pacing; and the characters are amazing. I think the fur guy who hires Tess to find his wife is probably one of the most interesting characters I've read in awhile. Brilliant as usual.

No comments: